| From the Desk of Picture Lady |
Quality Art - Quality Events - Affordable Prices
March 2011 Newsletter
Here I was last month boasting about the mild winter and how blessed we are in sunny California. I have to tell you that I have never been as cold as I was this last weekend.
The week before that a customer asked me for advice on how to arrange her pictures and, as I helped her out, I realized there are some hard and fast rules that, when followed, make it easier to decorate. So here we go.
Good wall décor is not simply hanging a selection of pictures on the wall. The key to creating a collage that works is in the arrangement. When you start, pretend that your wall is a large blank canvas and draw it out on art paper. You want to end up with a display that works as a whole and ties in with other elements in the room, like a staircase or a bar.
- It is a great idea to choose one very large picture (30x40) and put it on the wall that is first seen when guests enter your living room. This is your show stopper. This is going to be your focal point.
- Next comes the fun part: You should use the other walls to contrast and enhance the effect of your one big focal point. This can be done in several different ways and challenges your creativity.
- First, try art in an assortment of different colors and sizes. If you match the frames of your smaller pictures, it will all come together. Most people do not realize that you do not need to follow a similar theme, BUT YOU DO need to match the background color in a collage of pictures. You can even intersperse pictures with Photo-to-Artwork family portraits and mirrors and plaques, BUT ONLY as long as the background colors all blend.
- You don’t have to use new art. Go through your attic and find every art piece you have loved and bring these to the Picture Lady to resurrect.
- You can strive for a unique effect by selecting the primary color in your large picture and tone it down a tad and then use this as the color for an accent wall across the room. Experiment with virtual decorating to get your color right.
- Adding texture in the accent wall or in the collage of pictures adds a special quality to a room.
- You don’t have to buy pre-framed art. Here are some unique custom ideas.
- If your focal picture is abstract you can get away with framing your children’s textured art – this makes for a unique effect.
- Rather than put a lot of pictures there, you can choose just one simple mirror. If you match the frames you are ahead of the game. (Note Picture Lady sells mirrors and can match your mirror to your artwork. Mirrors are not brought to a Picture Lady show but can be ordered.)
- You can take a striking fabric especially one with a thick weave and get this framed. Then make some of the fabric into scatter cushions for your couch.
- Don't use too many items. It is the space around your pictures that creates the artistic effect.
If this all seems overwhelming, don't be discouraged - you don’t have to get it right the first time. The fun of decorating or redecorating is in the experimentation.
You can always call the Picture Lady for a free decorating consultation.
Email ahead to arrange a time to talk. This is a free service.
Each month we are going to feature a new artist. This month our featured artist is:
Okaybabs is a world-renowned artist from Nigeria, and he has been an artist for as long as he can remember.
His paintings are original and lead you to an aesthetic adventure of vibrant color, flowing composition, and agile forms.
Each painting is like a song, so it's not surprising to find him representing musicians and music in his art.
The Last Supper by Okaybabs
All of the 777 Limited Editions are now sold out.
Only 77 hand-embellished lithographs now remain, at the time of this email, but going fast. Contact us for availability.
Quality of Life
Click on the icon above for some Quality of Life on Saint Patrick’s Day!
Quote for the Month:
"Music is the harmonious voice of creation; an echo of the invisible world." - Giuseppe Mazzini
It is not too long now to Mother’s Day and this is something you can plan. We offer the perfect gift for Mother and/or Father in three sizes of Photo-to-Artwork - 22x28 at $175, 16x20 at $125 and 11x14 at $65.
How can you find out when and where there is a Picture Lady Gallery? Go to www.picturelady.com/schedule.htm. The password is "art" (without the quotes).Until next month!
The Picture Lady
P.S. To unsubscribe, reply to this email with "Unsubscribe" in the Subject line.